Sunday, January 1, 2012

First Day Nerves

Training officially started today. I'm excited to follow my new plan and begin the journey again. I'm so excited to have that absolutely amazing day again! I'm nervous though and I have some thoughts and fears I didn't have last time. Last time I trained with my boyfriend at the time, Tom. We both signed up for Ironman St George together and did all of our training together. Even logistics of getting to the race and finding a place to stay we handled together. But this time I don't have that.

I've decided not to use a coach, but to follow the plan from a new book that I've been reading. I think I've learned a lot about training and how to get faster and I know I have the strength to get through the training on my own.

But how do people do this on their own? Although they're proud of me, my family pretty much thinks I'm nuts. So on today's ride I started to think. This is a lonely journey I'm going on alone. It would be easy just to say, "you're right, this is nuts", and sit on the couch playing video games with my family. But realistically that's not me. I love running and I love biking. And some days I even like swimming! I love everything about Ironman and I want to do it. So screw it, I am doing it!

So here I am sharing my experiences and hoping that I can relate to other people training using sites like Dailymile and Facebook. I need to find some tri-groups and take every opportunity to train with people who share my passion.

2 comments:

  1. I think most families have a tough time really "understanding" the sport and craziness unless they do it themselves. I get the same thing from my family though they support it and love coming to the races. Training on your own can be such a great journey to race day and way to learn a lot more about yourself. Best of luck with the training and finding some good tri-groups as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is kind of a lonely journey, isn't it? 95% of time time I train alone, and while like you, I have the support of my friends and family, they also think I"m a little crazy, and in the end can't totally understand what I do. Hope you have found more tri people in your area, it can really break it all up. :)

    ReplyDelete