Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Crash, boom!

It's been a while since I posted and I think I've settled into a nice training routine. My main problem at the moment seem to be getting the motivation to hit the pool. But I'll work on that! :-)

This morning I was out riding on Tamaki Dr, keeping my cadence high, my HR zone 1 and focusing on making perfect circles with my feet. My training book says to focus on one foot, then the other, then both and make sure you're pulling as much as pushing. I do these rides once a week and I think the technique is helping. In addiiton, the spinning is kind of a recovery workout. I really like it, although I find it hard not to push myself!

Anyway, so I was happily riding along this morning heading into the last 2mi of my ride.. The traffic was getting a bit bad and just as I was passing by the Orakei Basin, a car made a right hand turn and didn't see me. I hit the brakes hard and skidded, but couldn't stop in time. I was right in her way and she hit me. She wasn't going too fast, but I still got knocked a bit and ended up laying on the road still clipped into my pedals. I feel pretty lucky that this all happened at low speed and that I'm fine. I have a couple scratches and bruises on my legs but nothing too bad. It's definitely a reminder not to get over confident on the bike. A crash happens way to quickly and it's way more important to finish the ride safely than to finish it fast. Safety first!

No comments:

Post a Comment